Living in the Stockade is a great source of pride for residents. However, it also comes with responsibility to preserve the historic character of the neighborhood that has been maintained since the Historic District was created over fifty years ago. If you plan any outside repairs such as painting, roofing, replacements of siding, windows or sidewalks, tree removal or other work you may need approval from the Schenectady Historic District Commission. Any change that can be seen from a public right of way, such as a sidewalk, road, navigable river or alleyway, requires approval. If you are simply repairing using exactly the same materials and colors, etc., you may be able to obtain a City Staff approval. If the changes are not visible from a public area, you do not need approval to do the work. Contact Rima Shamieh, Assistant Planner, with questions or for guidance on obtaining an approval, at email@example.com or (518) 382-5147. Application fees are $10 for residential, $40 for commercial properties. Please visit the City’s website for more information, an application, or the Commission meeting schedule at http://www.cityofschenectady.com/203/Historic-District-Commission. Applications must be received at least two weeks before a meeting.
Neighborhood Events & News
- STOCKADE GARDEN TOUR July 20-21
- Stockade Sidewalk Sale June 9 9am-3pm
- Stockade Association Annual Meeting May 17 7 pm St. George’s Episcopal Church, Great Hall, N. Ferry St. (parking lot on Green St.)
- I Love Riverside Park Day – Saturday, May 5 10 am- 2pm
- Stockade Association General Membership Meeting, March 15, 7 pm